Postgraduate Diploma Course In Health Science Librarianship (PGDHL)
The Post Graduate Diploma in Health Science Librarianship is meant to impart high level skills and training necessary for those who man higher positions in health science libraries and information centers in the country. The purpose of the program is also to help those who are already employed in different types of health science libraries, in their professional development and betterment of employment.
Manpower studies conducted by various experts in the field of health science librarianship have revealed that there is a great need for highly trained manpower of managerial cadres to run the different health science libraries and information centers in the country. Presently, no Indian university is offering any specialized high level academic courses in health science librarianship. Therefore, the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, has introduced a one-year Post Graduate Diploma in Health Science Librarianship in the year 2002 to meet the need and demand for the high quality manpower in health science libraries in Karnataka in particular, and India in general.
Presently there are about 650 health science institutions existing in the State of Karnataka alone, which needs manpower specialized in health science librarianship to manage the libraries effectively and efficiently on the modern lines of information storage, retrieval and dissemination systems.
Health Science Librarianship is multifaceted. Biomedical librarians will function over the next decade in ways shaped by a number of significant factors such as changing elements and structures of medical information and rapid introduction of new technologies and techniques for information handling.
The candidate at the end of the course shall be able to:
- Improve the health science library and information services with the help of improved knowledge and the state-of-the-art training
- Develop and upgrade professional skills among his staff
- Meet the information demands and requirements of the health science professionals in their education, research, or practice
- Develop healthy interpersonal relation with health science professionals
- Develop the latest and the most relevant information handling tools and techniques
- Improve following areas of study which are essential for effective and efficient work by health science library and information professionals.
- Domain specific knowledge
- Communication skills
- Leadership and Managerial skills
- Effective understanding of communication in health sciences
- Understanding of Users: methods
- Information search & retrieval
- Specialized information resources in health sciences